Ten reasons I miss our little old stationery store, driven out of business by Staples this year.
10. The way the owner asked, “Can I help you?” when I walked in the door.
9. How the owner used to help me compare the generic printer cartridges with the brand name ones.
8. The acre of receipts I just took home from Staples, with barcodes and promises of rebates if I’m willing to write to El Paso to get them.
7. The way the Staples checker knew my name today, but only after reading it off my Rewards card.
6. The Staples muzak coming over the speakers.
5. The call for help up front coming over the Staples intercom.
4. The lines.
3. The stultifying air.
2. The way the Staples staff ask, “Can I help you?” but only after I’ve already spent decades looking for the right ink cartridge.
1. The empty stationery storefront, joining the dozens of other small businesses now standing empty in our community.
Thank you, city fathers and mothers, for letting this “non-big-box store” come to our town.